I truly feel like this week has brought me to a new level of mellowness, centred-ness, and groundedness. I’m quieter inside; I suppose you could say there is a new stillness blossoming. I’ve been a daily meditator for the last 2 years so these days I’m typically happily sitting in the seat of my soul, enjoying the stillness regularly and taking it into my daily experience, but it feels like a new depth of real inner softening and patience is evolving now. I'm witnessing my thoughts, ideas and wishes as they pop in with a general mindfulness that is clearer now. This is really one of the things that I was interested in observing over the course of this journey so I’m quite excited about the unfolding that I’m experiencing… who knows where it will go!
Week Two has been a little more of a temptation challenge! I’ve found myself fantasizing about all kinds of amazing foods and I’m making a list of all the amazing things I'm excited to eat after this journey. I’m going to keep the list going and then review the list at the end and see what I actually REALLY want after two more weeks. I have a feeling it will shift, but we’ll see.
At the moment top of the list so far is eating those delicious little tacos! For some reason when I’m headed into town weather in Whistler or Vancouver, I get a flash in my mind of the local taco places with those amazing small street style tacos that I like to take myself for a little treat! I certainly didn’t expect that let me tell you!
The Big Fiber Question!
Lots of people have been asking me, "soooooooo what about fiber! How do you get your fiber!?" And I’m thinking to myself ah - it's all good, I’m fine without fiber. But clearly my body didn’t agree! Week Two was a lesson in overcoming, you guessed it - constipation! I know this is not the topic we all want to think about but it’s something to be aware of for sure if you are going to do any of your own juicing for an extended period of time. Tori did mention it can be something that I may need to supplement but I didn’t really think it would effect me. That was until I reached a point of total lock down.
So what do you do!? I ran to the health food store in Whistler and picked up some "Smooth Tea” and a bunch of Magnesium to try to get things going again…. a few days of that and still no luck. I drank a ton of water… nothing. Then miraculously I found a solution that I didn’t expect. I was taking an acupuncture course, an amazing new option for self applied acupuncture treatments (honestly this is amazing if you are ever interested, ask me about it).
Over the two days of the course I decided to target that point for the lower intestine for our practise treatments and BINGO! Who knew that just stimulating an acupuncture point could do such a thing! I have had lots of acupuncture in the past and really believe in its wonders. Following the new freedom I knew I had to add something into my diet that would keep the balance going, I found “Nutricleanse,” a combination of all organic ingredients comprised of flax, psyllium husks, burdock root, dandelion root and fenugreek seeds that really did the trick. I’ve been shaking it with water or blending it into some juices with a little organic raw vegan hemp sprouted protein powder daily and I’m back on the straight and narrow. Phew!! Lesson learned - listen to Tori!
Juicing On the Go! Tricky But Totally Doable
Living in Whistler and working in the city a couple days a week is my usual happy balance… I’m always one to travel with a food bag stuffed with avocados, veggies and fruits and nuts - what I like to call "The ultimate convenience foods" as they are ready to eat and come in their own packaging! But prepping and packing massive jugs of juice, hydrator with greens powder, filtered water, super food potions to go into my almond milks was a taking this to a whole new level!! I started late and ended up staying up until midnight juicing the equivalent of 10 portions of Nectar juice to make it through two and a half days…..I feel like I have it down to an art now but next week I’ll be picking up some from Nectar to make the trip a little easier!
1) In general when I’m not out of town, I’m finding the best routine is to make five juices a day in the am. Four for the day and one for the next morning to ensure you have something to drink as soon as you get up, so as not to keel over from hunger while you make your juice for the day!
2) Try to get one of those wine bags with the little pockets to put all your juice bottles in, it helps keep the clanking down a little when you are driving around with 16 glass bottles in the trunk. Although there are still a couple of empties rolling around under I keep forgetting to fish out!
3) Don’t run out of juice - you will crash and burn - On day ten I didn’t have enough juice prepped for the day and got caught up doing other things before I had time to make more for four hours…..it was like I fell of a cliff! I got really slowed down, couldn’t think and ended up having such low energy that going to the store to get more vegetables was totally out of the question! So I blended up some fiber, with protein powder and water, ate half an avocado and laid down for a massive nap for 2 hours. It took way more than I expected to climb back up once I got that hangry and out of sorts, kind of like a kid that didn’t eat lunch or take their nap… it’s way better to stay on top of it then let it get that out of balance.
Other Supplements and Tips to Yourself Keep Fully Fired Up
People keep asking me if it’s just juice?? I think its important to share some of the little boosts that have been recommended to me and I”m finding work really well to stay feeling fully fantastic. I honestly have so much energy, am not getting hungry because I just always have the next juice in hand when the little hunger pang starts. I am using a juicing app by Jason Vail who does amazing health revolutionizing 28 day juice retreats in Portugal to get some awesome new recipes and he is the one who recommends blending in some vegan sprouted or hemp protein powders to keep your muscle mass alive!
- Quinton Hypertonic - Ask the ladies at Nectar about this one - a game changer to boost your reserve tank
- Nutricleanse - fiber supplement
- Garden of Life - Raw Protein, Beyond Organic Formula
- Have some Hydrator (greens powder, pink Himalayan sea salt, raw local honey and some filtered water!
Week Two Confessional - On the night of day 14, my friends were eating roasted vegetables (zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers) fresh out of the oven that smelled so good I had to taste them! I figured if I chewed them A LOT it wasn’t really much different than vegetable juice! Right? - While certainly not raw and totally as alive, I know it still is not going to totally derail the whole kit and caboodle, I must be honest they tasted amazing!! I’m so excited to see how my sense of taste will evolve in savouring food with such focus and consciousness on it after two more weeks of no chewing!!
Here is to week three - I have no idea what to expect next.